Friday, November 9, 2012

Remembering Scotty

I was taught at a very young age Remembrance Day is a day of respect. A special day to honour those men and women in the armed forces who sacrificed themselves and served their country.

Before marrying my husband, a military man, I often associated Remembrance Day with elderly veterans who had served in WWI, WWII and the Korean war. I still, most definitely, pay tribute to those soldiers, however I now have a much stronger association and a true personal remembrance of those who have served and continue to serve in Afghanistan.

Through my husband I have met, socialized and have become friends with many soldiers and their families. One such veteran who I remember each and every November 11th since 2009 is Scotty. Scotty was a friend of my husband's. They served together in Afghanistan in 2006/2007 on a  7 month tour of duty and became close friends developing a military friendship/bond unbeknownst to civilians. Scotty was a true soldier, as my husband liked to call him, meaning a front of the line infanteer. My husband always spoke of Scotty very fondly and I know he looked up to him and admired him for his bravery and comradeship



My husband (2nd from the left) and Scotty (far right) while in Afghanistan in 2006/2007.

In March 2009 while serving on a tour of duty in Afghanistan, Scotty was killed by an improvised explosive device (IED) while on patrol. I can remember the moment I found out about Scotty's death. I was sitting at my computer writing a paper for school when my husband called from Afghanistan. He wanted to let me know himself  about Scotty's death before it was broadcast on the news. I could hear and feel the grief in his voice. I immediately felt such sadness for Scotty, for his beautiful wife and baby and for my husband who had lost a dear friend and brother in arms. Scotty was due to return home to his wife and 6 month old baby the following month.



Scotty was a beautiful man - inside and out. A man who loved life and and people. I can remember running into him one day shortly after my husband told him I was pregnant with our first child. He ran up to me and gave me one of the biggest bear hugs I had ever received in my life lifting me right up off the ground and offering me heartfelt congratulations on my pregnancy. Later, when I couldn't have been any more than twenty weeks along into my pregnancy, he gave us (for the baby) a stuffed old-fashioned Winnie the Pooh that played twinkle twinkle little star. He posessed a true generosity of spirit unlike most men I have known and I feel so lucky to have known him - even if briefly.

My daughter still has that Winnie the Pooh and she knows it was Daddy's soldier-friend who is in heaven that gave it to her; although the music has since died the memory of the man who gave it to her lives on forever in our minds and hearts - we will always remember.



Scotty is one of many brave veterans who have sacrificed their lives for our country. This Remembrance Day I will be thinking of him and all those veterans who have served and continue to serve our country.

Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, it is a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, Carrie, I had always thought of the older veterans on Remembrance Day as there were not many wars going on when I was a child. Living near Petawawa has given me the privilege of working with military families as they prepare for their births and meeting men and women who have been overseas on tours of duty, has changed how I "remember" those who have served our country. Beautiful post!! I did not know you had a blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful tribute, thank you.

    ReplyDelete