Friday, November 7, 2014

All Hallows' Eve, one week later



This year, as Halloween approached, my almost seven year old daughter had many questions about why we celebrate Halloween. She expressed that she found it kinda strange that people dress up and go door-to-door for candy. To be honest, I had a bit of a difficult time explaining it, myself. I started off by describing how Halloween was originally referred to as All Hallows' Eve, and how historically there was a strong belief that souls of the dead (ghosts) came to visit us in the living world for one day each year, All Hallows' Day. I explained how food is often an important component of any celebration, and after referring to this book, I further explained how food was prepared for the visiting ghosts, as they were thought to be starving and lacking in proper nutrition. My daughter replied, "candy is not proper nutrition!", I agreed with her, but that is a completely different post (maybe one day)!

Giving our skeleton an apple ('proper nourishment')
 so it has something to eat before he starts his haunting! 
Grrrrr!
Instead of just focusing on dressing up and trick-or-treating, we invited a couple of our special family friends over for a little old-school Halloween party!


Pre-party energy burn!
The kids bobbed for apples....





 ...they felt for zombie eyes (peeled grapes), toad's blood (runny jello), and monster brains (overcooked spaghetti)....

Ewwww!!
They all guessed the zombie eyes were 'guts'!

...and even had a little treasure hunt!


The kids eventually did dress up and go out trick-or-treating, but both Fiona and Patrick agreed that the 'party' was their favourite part of the evening. Fiona has since asked if it can become an annual tradition. Maybe next year we'll have the adults bob for apples, make homemade caramel apples, use pumpkin 'guts' as one of the sensory bowls and perhaps concoct a special witches brew! Yes, I strongly suspect I had as much fun as the kids did!



Halloween 2014

3 comments:

  1. Loved that Fiona asked about Halloween and why we celebrate :) And I love your party. We don't celebrate this holiday, but I always thought if we did a little party would be the way we go. Yours looked like it was a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you are back to blogging! Looks like you have been busy-- and having lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this all looks like so much fun - I love the kids feeling for the eyes, blood, and brains - I'm definitely going to put that our list for next year! The expressions on their faces are so great.

    ReplyDelete